Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

International breaks

Is anyone else really starting to get frustrated by the international breaks (especially this one)?

It seems as though whenever football is getting exciting, along comes a week when nothing happens because of internationals. 2-3 games into the season in August... International break. Just when things are getting good in September...International break. The October and November ones aren''t quite so bad; but then this one, just when the title race is heating up...

It''s so much worse now we have to have internationals on Friday nights for no logical reason. Leaves the whole weekend devoid of any worthwhile football.

To be honest, I''m not sure why games can''t continue when top players are on international duty. People complain about lack of opportunity for younger players to come through... well, if the senior stars are with the national teams but games continue, that would provide a perfect opportunity for youngsters to get a chance?

Yes, it would disadvantage the stronger teams in a league; but only for a couple of games a year and honestly wouldn''t that just make football more competitive and more of a squad game overall?

I believe rugby at club level continues during the six nations so as you say, why does football have to stop.

I suspect there is a fear that clubs will be even more unwilling to release International players, if that is the case then it should be addressed with the clubs and players concerned and should not bring the whole of the Premier League and the Championship to a halt.

Players may have to make a choice between club and country, so be it, at least we will then know where everybody stands.

There is no reason why players that want to play for their country can''t get a release clause built into their contract for International games.

The International form of rugby is regarded the most popular and the highest level (it is also the most lucrative for the players), the same applies to cricket.

This cannot be said for football anymore where clubs come first for 99% of players.

One week off a few times a season isn''t the end of the world and allows teams to rest players who aren''t involved.

Hughton said the international break was vital for Norwich surviving in the Prem in his first season as it allowed him time to work on the team''s shape and stop a poor run of results.

Norwich City played their first game of this season on July 15 and could play their last on May 25. That is a 44-week season. Can fans really not cope with a weekend off a few times in that 10 months?

I don''t like the breaks either, but on the whole, whilst being a bit of a pain for fans, the positives probably outweigh the negatives - at this stage of the season and remembering our manager is still fairly new to us, a time to take stock, develop the attributes of our play that AN wants to build in and prepare for what is going to be a humdinger of a few weeks, whatever happens.

I find the whole thing as annoying as f@ck.

1) General lack of interest in the National team

2) Teams on a good roll just want the games to keep coming

3) Teams on a bad roll want a chance to bounce back

It doesn''t help when you read about players getting knocks, playing in another team, at a crucial time of the season.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 27/03/2015 8:49

"Hughton said the international break was vital for Norwich surviving in the Prem in his first season as it allowed him time to work on the team''s shape and stop a poor run of results. "

Blimey, perhaps we should have had a few more weeks off during his second season.😜

The biggest problem with internationals is that they are so non-competitive.

I ask you (with due respect to Lithuania) what interest is there when we are playing a lowly, poor team such as them?

Make competitions more competitive (as the rugby internationals are) and people would, perhaps, accept the international breaks more.

A European League of say five teams per division with a one up, one down promotion and relegation would add interest.

The poorer teams would have the chance of playing each other and actually have a chance of winning a match and the better teams would not have to worry about how many goals they score against the poor teams in case the competition went to goal difference, as happens now.

Competitiveness is everything, without it interest wanes, and that is exactly what has happened.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 27/03/2015 1:27 PM:

You mean like the UEFA Nations League that will be introduced for the qualifying for Euro 2020?

http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=2079553.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that Bethnal. Somehow I must have missed this.

However, looking at the format it does look typical of EUFA.

Why make a straightforward league competition when a more complicated league with a grouping system and playoffs can be introduced?

Nevertheless it looks to be an improvement.

If the league games continued there would be even less interest in the internationals.

Tettey got a goal tonight in a 5-1 loss, hopefully injury free! I see him as our most important player ahead of Jerome and bassong atm

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The biggest problem with internationals is that they are so non-competitive.

I ask you (with due respect to Lithuania) what interest is there when we are playing a lowly, poor team such as them?

Make competitions more competitive (as the rugby internationals are) and people would, perhaps, accept the international breaks more.

A European League of say five teams per division with a one up, one down promotion and relegation would add interest.

The poorer teams would have the chance of playing each other and actually have a chance of winning a match and the better teams would not have to worry about how many goals they score against the poor teams in case the competition went to goal difference, as happens now.

Competitiveness is everything, without it interest wanes, and that is exactly what has happened.[/quote]

That I agree with wholeheartedly.

Wes is in the squad for the ROI v Poland game tonight. We need him back in one piece, his performance against Nottingham Forrest last weekend was quality, probably one of his best for the club

Thankfully Redmond is the only international who will be in action after today. So hope everyone gets through todays games ok.

seems I am alone in enjoying the breadth of international games and seeing how our players do.

its only a few times a year and builds to the finals every other year.

Can do without friendly breaks though..

Friday will come soon enough

International breaks are a lot less boring if you watch non-league football!

Ever since Leiston became my ''second team'', International breaks have become a handy opportunity to go support them.