Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Wes

Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?

[quote user="shefcanary"]Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?[/quote]Pretty much how Alex Neil is doing it, give him a free role just behind a single striker, with virtually zero defensive responsibility.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?[/quote]Pretty much how Alex Neil is doing it, give him a free role just behind a single striker, with virtually zero defensive responsibility.[/quote]Just like Hughton did 49 times in two seasons.........

[quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?[/quote]Pretty much how Alex Neil is doing it, give him a free role just behind a single striker, with virtually zero defensive responsibility.[/quote]This being the operative phrase[Y]Cheers for the articles. Great video from mrjudderman if you have a spare ten minutes.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?[/quote]Pretty much how Alex Neil is doing it, give him a free role just behind a single striker, with virtually zero defensive responsibility.[/quote]Just like Hughton did 49 times in two seasons.........

[/quote]Well not really. Hughton was playing him in few midfield roles.Why do you think Wes was desparate to leave? Lambert got the best out of him because he built a team around his strenghts.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?[/quote]Pretty much how Alex Neil is doing it, give him a free role just behind a single striker, with virtually zero defensive responsibility.[/quote]This being the operative phrase[Y]Cheers for the articles. Great video from mrjudderman if you have a spare ten minutes.[/quote]I also there is a certain amount of psychological handling required with Wes. He seems at his best when he is at the centre of things.Perhaps one of those confidence players that needs the right kind of cuddle to get the best out of him.

Haha, i can''t see Alex as the cuddling type[:D] But from reading his interviews he has a certain honest man-management ethos, which, jugding by results, seems to be working very well. Wes playing with a smile on his face is what we need for these last few games. Just have to put up with a drooling Lincoln for the sake of the club.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?[/quote]Pretty much how Alex Neil is doing it, give him a free role just behind a single striker, with virtually zero defensive responsibility.[/quote]Just like Hughton did 49 times in two seasons.........[/quote]Well not really. Hughton was playing him in few midfield roles.Why do you think Wes was desparate to leave? Lambert got the best out of him because he built a team around his strenghts. [/quote]Our best results/performances under Hughton were with Wes playing up front with Holt in a 4411 or even 442.   The reason Hughton didn''t start him earlier in his tenure was because he couldn''t be fitted into a flat midfield of a 442 - and the diamond was never going to appear under Hughton.   Once Wes was integrated into a 4411 or 442 as a front man, things improved.  I don''t think he had many defensive duties in that role - no more than now.  The problems were more to do with the static nature of our play. 

The great thing about Wes - and he is another who over the years gets criticised quite a lot - including sometimes by me - is that he was successful under Lambert, proved his worth under Hughton, important under Adams and now a key figure under Neil.  He''s been poor at times too, hence criticism, but overall he is still a key figure - and has been, despite difficulties ever since he arrived at Norwich.

[quote user="Herman "]Haha, i can''t see Alex as the cuddling type[:D] But from reading his interviews he has a certain honest man-management ethos, which, jugding by results, seems to be working very well. Wes playing with a smile on his face is what we need for these last few games. Just have to put up with a drooling Lincoln for the sake of the club.

[/quote][:D]

Despite getting MOM last night for Ireland, Wes did give the ball way a few times, the Irish pundits forgive him that as he is a crowd favourite having come from the League of Ireland and is one of very few players in the Irish squad that can really play a killer pass. Its just part of his game, trying the difficult, the inspired, the unusual, its just a shame most of the squad cant read what he is thinking, if they could, he would look a whole lot better, as would they.

He was instrumental to all that was good last night....after he was moved to a central position.

The biggest credit I can give to Wes this season is he''s more than proven, despite the majority of the forum saying otherwise, that it IS worth building a team around him.

The key thing with Wes is getting him with the ball in their half of the pitch. He is relatively good defensively, he certainly tracks back and is willing to throw himself in there if needs be - you just know he isn''t going to dominate that like Tettey or Johnson will.The reason he loses the ball is because he is a playmaker. To create passages of good play, sometimes you need to play riskier balls, and you want someone in your side that can pull those off. The thing is, you want those risks in the opponents half and not your own.That can mean that Wes really comes into his own when you have the ball and you have it in the opponents half. That means that against sides who will pin/push you back, he can be a bit of a luxury. But he will always leave you with that question in terms of he will always create if he is seeing enough of the ball - so in those games, you almost want to play American Football - bring him on when we have the ball and need the vision, take him off when we need more blood and guts and someone to break up the opponents play.That said, for me, he does look best if played as a number 10, in behind the lone striker. It means we can still play a strong midfield and he can step in on the DM if they deploy one.

Best post i have read about Wes thanks Chicken.

I am a huge fan of his and the stats don''t lie. We win more games with him in the team than out.

Yes he occassionally has a poor game and it is more noticable with him as his level is usually so high a drop in form is clear. However contrary to what some believe these are pretty rare and don''t last for long. Furthermore they usually coincide with poor form from others and often it is the case that he is denied ball either because the opposition shut him out, so others in the team should step up which they often don''t, or because of our own team and the tactics employed.

For me i would always look to start him if i can.

Snake

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="shefcanary"]Good background stuff but does not tackle the key Wes conundrum - just how do you set a team up to get the best out of Wes without compromising your underlying tactics?[/quote]Pretty much how Alex Neil is doing it, give him a free role just behind a single striker, with virtually zero defensive responsibility.[/quote]Just like Hughton did 49 times in two seasons.........

[/quote]

Reading through other threads and seeing this does make you guilty of provocation LCD [:|] [;)]

I love Wessie, always had faith in his ability and always knew he loved this club, just don''t understand why some thought he was a luxury who couldn''t be accommodated in out squad.

[quote user="cityangel"]I love Wessie, always had faith in his ability and always knew he loved this club, just don''t understand why some thought he was a luxury who couldn''t be accommodated in out squad.[/quote]He is playing well, and when he is playing well he deserves his place in the side.What is more difficult to understand is people who think he should be included, even when he isn''t in good form. That follows no logic whatsoever.

Here''s the logic..

Hoolahan is a unique player, a midfield general and a "match winner". When he is off his game there is a noticeable difference to the overall performance of the team. Unlike all these other ordinary players in the team who no matter how badly they perform - it doesn''t make a difference. And they are still retained in the team.

Hoolahan''s performances are always scrutinized.

I''d rather him on the pitch than the others.

My opinion an "off colour" Hoolahan is still better than any of these average Joes , because if he''s on the pitch there is the possibility he will create something from a half a chance.

Class over form

[quote user="Six Pack"]Here''s the logic..

Hoolahan is a unique player, a midfield general and a "match winner". When he is off his game there is a noticeable difference to the overall performance of the team. Unlike all these other ordinary players in the team who no matter how badly they perform - it doesn''t make a difference. And they are still retained in the team.

Hoolahan''s performances are always scrutinized.

I''d rather him on the pitch than the others.

My opinion an "off colour" Hoolahan is still better than any of these average Joes , because if he''s on the pitch there is the possibility he will create something from a half a chance.

Class over form[/quote]If someone is not playing well, either through injury, lack of fitness, lack of form, or poor attitude they should not be in the team.Seriously an "off colour" player deserves to keep his place in the team?Sorry, but no.

If it''s been one "off colour" game after many good games, i''d trust Wes to bounce back well and wouldn''t just drop him after one bad game.

Usually his bad games are when stuff just doesn''t tick for him as he likes to take risks. He doesn''t hide behind a few sideways passes, he takes the game by the scruff of it''s neck, so it''s more obvious when he plays rubbish compared to other centre mids.

Nice to see he''s found a few goals recently as well, as that''s the one part of his attacking game he could do with a bit more of. The finish against Huddersfield was top class composure.

I''d love to see the damage he can do with Dorrans, Redmond and Jerome on the pitch with him. Mind you, Hooper seems to play well when Wes is playing as well and you can''t play all them!

^^^^ like the radio etc said though sounded like hughton had 2/3 players on him at all times to stop him, hence Redmond on soon after half time for something different :)

[quote user="morty"]Looked like a bit of an off day to me yesterday....[/quote]

Hughton know all about Wes, and tried marking him out of the game.

The team performance looked like a little bit of an off day too...... Funny how our decent performances appear to be intrinsically linked to when a certain player is also playing decent.

Shows how average we can be without wessi on top form. Wes needs to start tomorrow.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="morty"]Looked like a bit of an off day to me yesterday....[/quote]

Hughton know all about Wes, and tried marking him out of the game.

The team performance looked like a little bit of an off day too...... Funny how our decent performances appear to be intrinsically linked to when a certain player is also playing decent.

Shows how average we can be without wessi on top form. Wes needs to start tomorrow.[/quote]But, but, Wes doesn''t have off days, or so people were telling me.Not shouting anything six pack, just pointing out that the point I was making a few days ago, was illustrated quite nicely on Friday.And I was at the game, and sorry, I didn''t see "two or three players" marking Wes out of the game.And sorry Lincoln, thats rubbish, it takes more than one player having a good game, for the team to have one.

Oh and Lincoln, would that be the same Hughton that never knew how to get the best out of Wes, or where to play him?[:)]