Sign in to follow this  
TLO

Brighton fan in peace: Mods & Rock

Evening all.For those of you heading south this Good Friday, you will - no, really - receive a warm welcome, there''s plenty of real ale for sale, award-winning pies (even Delia rates them) and something mildly typical for Brighton on a Bank Holiday.After the game in the East Stand concourse (you lot will be in the South Stand), there will be a DJ set of mod, soul and rock music. You''re welcome to come in and have a beer, a natter and if you feel like drunk enough - a bit of a boogie. No pressure.Can''t seem to post a pic, so here''s a link... https://www.facebook.com/events/1590503341163870/

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]I''ve been recommended '' Dick''s Bar '' to avoid the crush after the game.[/quote]''Dick''s Bar'', in Brighton !Otherwise it sounds good and I''m sure a few City fans will partake, so well done TLO.Also we won''t be waving some silly banner having a go at your club, rather instead raising a glass in recognition of you lot hauling yourself back after Archer sold you down the river. How''s hewton doing ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Thanks for that TLO.....sounds like '' Quadrophenia '' revisited so a few old Who songs maybe ?

I''ve been recommended '' Dick''s Bar '' to avoid the crush after the game.Any good ?[/quote]That''s about the size of it - Dante will be playing soul, funk, disco etc. Digitalis plays the mullet-rock, air-grab and air-guitar classics, I (Large Al) will play The Who, Small Faces, Jam, ska and all points in between.Regarding Dick''s Bar, it''s a bit airport lounge-ish, and gets very full very quickly - it is the crush place rather than somewhere to go to avoid the crush. However, if you can get in, you are welcome. ''Dick'' incidentally, refers to Dick Knight, former chairman and now Life President, so no sniggering at the back. The man himslef may even be in there afterwards.Basically, since the stadium opened, the culture is along the lines of get there early-ish (even though the only bars in the vicinity are at the stadium - about 37 bars at the last count), drink ale (there will be a real ale from Norfolk, and the staff in the away end will be wearing yellow and green colours with NCFC badges), watch the game; moan, cheer etc.After the game, the queues at Falmer railway station, which is about 150 yards from the stadium, can get a bit busy, so everyone is encouraged to stick around and drink more beer until the queue dies down. To that end, and the fact it''s Good Friday, we''re doing the music stuff in the East Stand. 8pm is a nominal finishing time. Everyone is welcome into all parts of the stadium after the game.Incidentally your match ticket also gives you free travel (bus or train) to and from the city centre to the stadium free of charge; it''s included in the price.And if you want to know what the Piswich fans did on their first visit to the Amex... http://www.eadt.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.1220907.1330342188!/image/372017083.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/372017083.jpgNo, we didn''t understand it either. The airheads.Anything else you want to know, just holler.

[quote user="Bob Down"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]I''ve been recommended '' Dick''s Bar '' to avoid the crush after the game.[/quote]''Dick''s Bar'', in Brighton !Otherwise it sounds good and I''m sure a few City fans will partake, so well done TLO.Also we won''t be waving some silly banner having a go at your club, rather instead raising a glass in recognition of you lot hauling yourself back after Archer sold you down the river. How''s hewton doing ?

[/quote]Cheers, Bob. See post above for ''silly banner''.I remember Fans United in 1997, and Norwich City fans, having a few issues with Robert Chase if I recall correctly, brought a fair few coach loads down. A post from the FB page of my radio show...https://www.facebook.com/thealbionroar/posts/602150086551708Hughton is doing what he has been brought in to do - pick up the debris from a disastrous period under Sami Hyypia. He hasn''t pulled up any trees particularly, but he has got the results in enough for us to hopefully avoid the trapdoor. We''re expecting carnage on the playing squad front during the summer at the Albion.And he''s a nice chap too.

Thanks TLO. I am sponsoring the game, so we have a group of 18 of us in amongst the Brighton fans.... Should be a laugh. Think we will head to the bar after the game and then into Brighton for a few more unnecessary beers.... For Norwich fans who haven''t been to the Amex before, it is a long way out of Brighton and no nearby pubs, so best to drink at the stadium beforehand.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

I''ve been recommended '' Dick''s Bar '' to avoid the crush after the game.Any good ?[/quote]Just the thought of you wandering around Brighton looking for Dick.......I''m sure you won ''t be disappointed Smiffy. [:D]

[quote user="Dicky"]Thanks TLO. I am sponsoring the game, so we have a group of 18 of us in amongst the Brighton fans.... Should be a laugh. Think we will head to the bar after the game and then into Brighton for a few more unnecessary beers.... For Norwich fans who haven''t been to the Amex before, it is a long way out of Brighton and no nearby pubs, so best to drink at the stadium beforehand.[/quote]

Nice one. As long it''s not the East Anglian Electricity Board sponsoring the game...

Re: drinking - there are many excellent pubs around Brighton Station, and most allow away fans. So it will be door to door from pub to stadium with the free train travel (about 9 mins).

Hi TLO, cheers for all the info!Am staying in the Ibis hotel in Queens road and looking for somewhere niceish to eat on the Thursday night, nothing too Weatherspoonsy.Any recommendations?

[quote user="morty"]Hi TLO, cheers for all the info!Am staying in the Ibis hotel in Queens road and looking for somewhere niceish to eat on the Thursday night, nothing too Weatherspoonsy.Any recommendations? [/quote]

Morty, if you''re a carnivore, Meat Liquor on the London Road is good. If you fancy a good chinese, Gars in the centre is excellent. Cheapish Italian, go for Donatellos, posh seaford, English''s in the Lanes. Hope this helps.

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="morty"]Hi TLO, cheers for all the info!Am staying in the Ibis hotel in Queens road and looking for somewhere niceish to eat on the Thursday night, nothing too Weatherspoonsy.Any recommendations? [/quote]

Morty, if you''re a carnivore, Meat Liquor on the London Road is good. If you fancy a good chinese, Gars in the centre is excellent. Cheapish Italian, go for Donatellos, posh seaford, English''s in the Lanes. Hope this helps.[/quote]Thank you[:)]

Morty, If you''re looking for a decent Italian pizza buffet place than you could do worse than Casa Della Pizza on North St.

Been there a couple of times. Nothing much to look at on the outside but it''s cheap and gets good write-ups on Trip Advisor.

Much better than Pizza Hut ( but that wouldn''t be difficult I suppose )

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Morty, If you''re looking for a decent Italian pizza buffet place than you could do worse than Casa Della Pizza on North St.

Been there a couple of times. Nothing much to look at on the outside but it''s cheap and gets good write-ups on Trip Advisor.

Much better than Pizza Hut ( but that wouldn''t be difficult I suppose )[/quote]Cheers[Y]Theres a fairly big group of us so we''re just looking for somewhere we can rock up to on the Thursday night. Friday night curry is on the agenda!

[quote user="morty"]Hi TLO, cheers for all the info!Am staying in the Ibis hotel in Queens road and looking for somewhere niceish to eat on the Thursday night, nothing too Weatherspoonsy.Any recommendations? [/quote]Hi MortyThe Ibis is about as convenient as you could want - it''s about 30 yards from the entrance to Brighton Station.The pubs are around the station are probably the best in the city - The Prince Albert, The Lord Nelson, The Battle of Trafalgar, The Pedestrians, The Caxton Arms, The Evening Star, The Cyclist - all within 75 yards of your gaff. The Office and the Battle of Trafalgar are about 300 yards away, if you can be arsed to walk down the hill. Just avoid the Queens Head and the Railway Bell opposite your hotel.Just don''t drive in. Take the train.As for food, you''re pretty well spoiled. For Indian, head to Noori''s in Ship Street or the Chili Pickle in Jubliee Street; for fish, head to either Fishy Fishy or English''s in the Lanes; for tapas, go to Casa Don Carlos in the Lanes, or Solera D in Sydney Street or Bodega D in Church Street; for street food, go to La Choza in Glocuester Road; for Chinese go to Gars in the Lanes or China Garden in Preston Street; for Italian, head for Si Signore in Sydney Street or Donatello''s in the Lanes..."I could go on four hours and I probably willBut I''d sooner put the joy back in..."All of these places are within 10 minutes walk of your hotel. Looking further afield into Kemp Town (about a 15-20 minute walk) brings another set of surprises - in more ways than one - again. There''s loads of places on the seafront road and the beach too, though the weather might put paid to some of them. Brighton is the kind of place where it''s easier to avoid the soul-less chains and head for the small independent places.For even more info, follow @EatBrighton on Twitter. You''ve every opportunity to leave Brighton fatter and poorer if you allowed yourself to do it.

Thats brilliant, cheers!We''re eating at the chilli pickle on the Friday night.

[quote user="morty"]Thats brilliant, cheers!We''re eating at the chilli pickle on the Friday night.[/quote]Good choice.It''s not your regular Indian place, and it is excellent though a tad steep.http://thechillipickle.com/restaurant/

TLO, what are your thoughts on the Goldstone ... would you go back if you could.  Maybe with the odd improved, or new stand ?Bit of atmosphere and easy to get to as well. So you can drink in town before ambling up to Hove (actually).

[quote user="Bob Down"]TLO, what are your thoughts on the Goldstone ... would you go back if you could.  Maybe with the odd improved, or new stand ?Bit of atmosphere and easy to get to as well. So you can drink in town before ambling up to Hove (actually).[/quote]As much as we pine for something lost - the dewy-eyed mistiness days of the often-unrequited love of your first mistress (the Albion in this case for me) - and she could be cruel not always loving you back, yet you yearn for more - The Goldstone was a dump.It was our dump, but a dump nonetheless. It was never ripe for improvement - there wasn''t the room to do so without drastic measures, like for instance buying up perfectly good houses in order to make space. There was no dignity involved in prising us from our home. We didn''t want to go, though with the attendances, and the way the club was being run by a series of chancers and egotistical local businessmen, many didn''t want to stay either.The perverse irony is that, if Bill Archer hadn''t done what he did (i.e. sold the Goldstone and asset-strip it in order to make a few quid), we wouldn''t be where we are now, simply because it was necessity rather than an a greedy commercial consideration that got Falmer Stadium built. I''m not even saying this with 18 years'' hindsight of battling for our existence; I genuinely had no idea how the Goldstone could ever be improved to a ''modern'' standard. For example, the catering kiosk was next to the toilet and at times you struggled to work out which smell came from where.Now that we''re in the Falmer Stadium, and because we spent so long fighting for it - it had a history before it was even built - it was OURS, and we came to love it almost immediately. So while it was with a sense of anger and regret we had to say ''thanks for the memories'' to the Goldstone (even though we had no idea where our future lay), and though we bade a fonder farewell to Withdean (four promotions, including three divisional titles in 12 years) we knew what was on the horizon.Every nerve and sinew of my romantic side ought to be saying ''we should be at the Goldstone'', but because of the disenfranchisement and apathy at the club then, and the sense of inclusion now, my head is saying - "even though it''s a ''modern'' stadium, for me - Falmer has soul, and that suits me just fine..."

The Goldstone was indeed a relic from the past, and sadly had not really been improved at all during the post war decades. Thankfully Carrow Road was regularly upgraded over the past 30 plus years and now combines the best of the past, with the facilities of a modern stadium. My thought are the Brighton are almost a ''new; club given how far down it was driven, almost to extinction, with only a small band of not so happy followers doggedly hauling themselves around the South Coast, like some wise men of old following a start that might one day be a home. Because that is what it is about. Not a stadium but your home. The place where your club, your fans and your heart belongs. Maybe a bit too new and souless for my liking but it is yours, and after going through something we have never had to face never mind endure then I''m sure it is a blessed relief to have somewhere that is yours.Anyway, I think you''ll find City fans are much the same as you lot. Love the game as much as their club. And you won''t find any silly arrogance or even sillier posters either, just a load of loons believing that we can go back up again. You lot should be safe, couple of wins at most will see you in the Championship for another season ... just don''t let one of those wins be on Friday !

The Goldstone will always have a special place in my heart as it was where I went to my first away game (won 4-2 btw). Like has been said, it wasn''t a ''classy'' place, but it was your manor, so no matter how bad it got, you would have still had a great affinity for it.

I will always have a romantic ''old school'' thought process about football and it''s grounds (not stadiums!) but that may have something to do with what it says on my birth certificate !

[quote user="morty"]Thats brilliant, cheers!We''re eating at the chilli pickle on the Friday night.[/quote]

Chilli Pickle is exceptional mate. Proper Indian food, not English Indian food. Enjoy.

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="morty"]Thats brilliant, cheers!We''re eating at the chilli pickle on the Friday night.[/quote]

Chilli Pickle is exceptional mate. Proper Indian food, not English Indian food. Enjoy.[/quote]Cheers, yeah it comes highly recommended!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Dicky"][quote user="morty"]Thats brilliant, cheers!We''re eating at the chilli pickle on the Friday night.[/quote]

Chilli Pickle is exceptional mate. Proper Indian food, not English Indian food. Enjoy.[/quote]Cheers, yeah it comes highly recommended![/quote]How was it?And thanks to everyone who came along to the Mods & Rock do in the concourse last night. Great fun.Dance offs and singalongs galore.Cheers.

Sacked it in the end as it looked a bit Pretentious, and not really for kids. Went for something more normal in a cafe on the seafront.

Had a bit of a mare getting somewhere, even weatherspoons wouldn''t let us in as had under 18''s. Never had that at any away game.