Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Binners more attractive than Norwich for youngsters?

Always great to beat the binners but that result just highlighted what Klug was referring to.

How many of the boys in the team that won 3-0 actually come from round here......

It comes down to 2 choices, 1 having a successful youth set up getting boys in from wherever you can or 2 giving the local lads a chance. Since Norwich achieved Cat 1 status option 1 has become the aim not option 2, therefore the result is that all the good local boys will end up down the A140.

You can bet though that if they got Cat 1 they would have a different view.

Is any of this right, no it''s not! I''ve been involved in grassroots football for a lot of years and trust me when I say that we get it so badly wrong when it comes to local boys.....the more worrying thing is that they don''t seem to care as long as the money comes in from all those local boys who have the ''dream'' when all they are is money used to support all the ''London'' boys.

If our academy is attracting a lot of boys from London, that will make it more competitive and harder for boys from Norfolk to get into - because the standard is higher. Presumably from what he''s saying, that''s not the case for the scum.

We can''t have it both ways - if we''re getting young players up from London that''s going to reduce places available for local boys and the standard of our academy must be higher as a result. Simples.

Yep that''s exactly it, although the scum could get boys from around London due to travelling time down the A12, from memory it''s an hour and half driving time from training ground to front door (I think).

We were always at a disadvantage because of where we are situated although clearly over the years we found a way around it, Jamie Cureton as an example came from Bristol.

As I said, the scum will have a rethink if they get Cat 1 status, I believe they only missed out by a few points last time and then they''ll do the same as we have, ie go further a field to find what they can get.

All it will end up doing is making it even harder for the smaller clubs to run academies as any decent player from that area just gets gulped up by the Cat 1 status clubs so they lose out unless they can negotiate a fee!

Anyone remember when 13 year old Norwich Academy player Kalam Mooniaruck signed for Man. Utd. ?FA regs stated that players of his age were only allowed to train with clubs within 90mins of their home. Man Utd. got around this by flying him to Manchester Airport to train with them. So all that expense for someone who never really made it. Cat. 1 status gives up an advantage over them down the road but dealing with youngsters is a lottery. 
FULL-TIME: Ipswich Town 0-3 Norwich City

IPSWICH TOWN XI:
Hayes; Colclough, Nydam, Downes, Cathline, Wolfenden, McKendry, Dozzell, Morris, Muamba, Meldrum. Subs (rolling): Fullwood, Wright, Hanson, Brown, Murrell, Lankester.

NORWICH CITY XI: Hale-Brown; Sambu, Syme, Pollock, Wallis, Ellesley, Da Costa, Aransibia, Ashley-Seal, McIntosh, Middleton. Subs (rolling): Payne, Dickerson, Dodden, Fleming, Odusina.

The Accademy is not run for the benefit of "local lads" it is run to develop the best young players possible thought our club set up, where ever they may come from.

What is the point of a NCFC Academy full of local boys who are never going to make it as pro''s.

The club has an excellent group of player development centres to encourage local youth and if they are good enough they will get into the Academy.

That''s just the way it should be.😄

I agree with some of that Mr J and it''s not the clubs fault that they have had to follow suit to keep up but I do disagree with you about the development centres, they are not that great which is why an awful lot of boys leave the PDC to join other groups where they will be treated as something other than a number and a fundraiser.

A large percentage of local boys who get released from the academy don''t go in to the ''development centres'' and this is where they get it so badly wrong (in my view) and so much more they can do to improve it.

It used to be the case that boys released from the Academy were given the opertunity to go to the PDC if they so wished. Are you saying that is no longer the case?

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]It used to be the case that boys released from the Academy were given the opertunity to go to the PDC if they so wished. Are you saying that is no longer the case?[/quote]Why would they want to go into the Professional Darts Corporation? Nothing like football. [:S]

No that''s still the case, although now have an Elite PDC (probably created for that very reason).

I''ve worked with a number over the last few years and not 1 is still in the PDC or EPDC. Now maybe it''s a transition thing of coming out but if they ran EPDC like the academy then they would retain those boys and not lose them elsewhere. It can''t be that difficult to give it some proper structure and play other EPDC''s when the academy play other academies surely!?!

Probably a money thing though.

To be honest Rich T in my experience if a lad is released from the Academy the option of slotting in to what they see as a lower tier structure such as the PDC or EPDC is often not attractive.

It''s an offer the boys should consider seriously but sometimes they are better getting away from the structure all together for a while and taking the pressure off.

lappinitup wrote the following post at 01/05/2015 5:06 PM:

Mr Jenkins wrote:

It used to be the case that boys released from the Academy were given the opertunity to go to the PDC if they so wished. Are you saying that is no longer the case?

Why would they want to go into the Professional Darts Corporation? Nothing like football.

Sharp as an arrow Lapps.😄