Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

'Official' Norwich v Ipswich Playoff Thread

Okay - there''s still plenty of reasons why it might not happen, but with every passing week it''s looking more and more likely that us and the Binners will be together in the playoffs.

If such a match does happen it will almost certainly be the biggest match/matches between the two clubs in history - certainly in terms of the amount of money resting on the outcome.

If it does come to pass then it''s probably best we play them in the semi-finals - the Binners have lost 6 out of 7 playoff semis.

On the other hand we''ve lost our only appearance in the finals and they''ve won their only one.

theres exactly the same chance we wont play them in the playoffs too...

to get them in the semis we''d have to finish 3rd and them 6th (or vice versa) or we need to finish 4th and 5th...

I think I''d rather we play them over two legs than just the one in a final.

Mostly because a one-off playoff final at Wembley would probably be too much for me and quite possibly finish me off whatever happens either way!....there is scope more more margin for error over 2 matches.

If we couldnt beat them over 180 minutes of football ,we wouldnt deserve to progress.

Luckly aswell, their chairman isn''t any longer doubling as the chairman of the football league in Sheepshanks and can manipulate the playoffs in their favour.  Bolton circa 1999/2000?? at Portman Rd, 3 Bolton red cards and 4 penalties for Ipswich (or vice versa?).....possibly the most corrupt football match in 150 years of English football league history.

In all honesty, its not meeting them that worries me most. Its the prospect of either Borough or Derby in the final. Especially Borough. But if thats whats in store, we can do it.

I''ve just posted on another thread if Ipswich don''t get anything from Blackburn next week. Brentford need a 2 goal win against Wigan to go above them.

Wouldn''t it be a tragic end of the season if they fall at the final hurdle.

Hmmm Brentford? We,d need a much better performance than we produced at Carrow Road against them.

I don''t want the binners at Wembley - wouldn''t be enjoyable and IMO they have a far better chance in a one-off game. Tbh I''d prefer to avoid them altogether - we are be more likely to finish 4th but they could easily be 5th or 6th so I''d prefer the latter (or, better still, they could yet go for 7th).

droundi, there were specific circumstances around that Brentford defeat (ie no available cm''s) which surely wouldn''t happen again; we did beat them well in the away game.

Agreed. At end of the day. Whoever we play will give it there all. We are capable of beating any of them, and i still think we will get there.

I would much rather play them over two legs in the semi finals than one final. For a start, if they did put us out in the semi finals, they may still not go up and therefore bragging rights would be greatly reduced - we already have the bragging rights courtesy of the last four derbies. It would also keep the Milk Cup semi-final as the biggest game between our clubs, and we can remind the scum that we went on to win the trophy.

More than any of that though, I would fancy our chances to beat them home and away, and then carry the momentum into our final game, probs against Middlesborough where we can score early on and then fall over a lot all the time and claim injury.

Theres still a chance they might not make it, Brentford 3 points behind with 1 to go.

Blackburn v Ipswich

Brentford v Wigan

A 3 goal swing in goal difference, Brentford far superior in goals scored.

Wigan will be relegated if Rotherham pick up a point or more against Reading at home midweek.

Okay - it was written in the stars then. Somehow it''s looked on the cards from a long way out.

Probably the biggest two games between the two clubs ever.

I cannot tell you how bad Derby were today. At 1-0 down, an equaliser would have dumped the Binners out of the playoffs but they were so poor it defied belief.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I cannot tell you how bad Derby were today. At 1-0 down, an equaliser would have dumped the Binners out of the playoffs but they were so poor it defied belief.[/quote]

Didnt you go to Carrow Road today or...