Sign in to follow this  
jess tetlow

Simon Charlton ??

why suddenly is every one wanting him in at the back. When he partnered flem in the prem he constantly got caught under the ball or got caught in possesion. Hes a solid left back !! 

[quote]why suddenly is every one wanting him in at the back. When he partnered flem in the prem he constantly got caught under the ball or got caught in possesion. Hes a solid left back !![/quote]

Just shows we all have differing memories of certain players - my recollection is he was solid at centre back but undermined by Fleming, and was worse than Drury when moved to left back....

Ho hum...

Anyway - shacks and doc for me.

OTBC

No he didn''t!

He was the one member of our defence that looked like he was in control. I certainly don''t remember him getting caught in possession constantly and I seem to remember about month into last season we were all saying he was Worthington''s best signing of the summer!

Funnily enough, he played left back against Liverpool, and looked all over the place whereas Doc and Helveg both played really well. Still - bet nobody remembers that do they?!

[quote]No he didn''t! He was the one member of our defence that looked like he was in control. I certainly don''t remember him getting caught in possession constantly and I seem to remember about month into l...[/quote]

Cheers Mook - I was beginning to think I was getting confused on how I remembered last season.

OTBC

I don''t want to see Charlton at Centre-back.

Relatively short centre-backs are a big gamble, particulaly at this level.

Look through the other sides in the division. How many have at least one 6 foot plus striker?

For instance, Preston last night had Agyemang, Dichio and Cresswell at different stages. All good in the air. Chasing a win they ended up pumping high balls into the box in the last 10 minutes. Most (all?) Championship sides look to use the aerial route and spend a lot of time on rehearsing winning headers from setpieces- (Sheffield United anyone?). Charlton is a decent footballer, and reads the game well, but he''s likely to struggle in these kind of battles.

Premiership sides (those which needed to) sussed this out too last year. Remember Charlton Athletic away with Fleming-Charlton in the middle? 

Malky was outstanding in the promotion year mainly due to his heading ability and bravery.

I would have thought Shackell and Doherty probably, of the current squad, look like the best combination for this league, this season...        

welcome to the board miss fleming, your not fooling any off us, we know your craig''s daughter.