Sign in to follow this  
yellow_belly

Apologies. Shoot Me Down etc etc

I know that many will shoot me down for being a moaner etc.

But…

I just cannot get excited about a useless midfielder with a season (albeit quite successful in winning a promotion via a penalty shoot out), with no pressure placed upon him becoming the manager of a team with promotion hopes to re-join the Premier League.

I cannot see this working, I do not think he will motivate the players and feel that protest are around the corner.

Obviously I would love to be wrong. And hope I am.

But promotion is still there for the taking and seems a ridiculous, cheap gamble.

If we do not go up now, then I will not be returning to Carrow Road to support the team, and yes I have been a loyal season ticket holder since 1980! But if the board cannot be bothered then nor can I.

Shoot me down. Just my honest thoughts.

To me, supporting a Club is akin to being married, you stick thro thick and thin, thro sickness and health, good times and bad....old fashioned i know , but just cant see meself getting a divorce, from either club or wife.

I''m more intrigued than excited. Literally have no idea what to expect now. He sounds like a guy who will want to shake things up anyway but perhaps we''ll see a different side to him now his budget has increased exponentially.

I''ll support the club whatever happens and something had to be done... Louis Van Gaal was a crap player too, so was SAF... How about Guus Hiddink...? Great manager, crap player...

I am still optimistic and I don''t thinks it helps anyone to start moaning, before he''s even been appointed

i just think this is a risk. yes it may be fantastic.

but looking at the league table, Hamilton are 1 point above 5th. so really not much better that we are?!?!

great appointment if we are still in this league in 5 years but now, really….

people bang on about lambert but he was a prove league one manager, colchester had just beaten us 1-7 and they were top off the league. plus he had a champions league and scottish medals to impress our squad with.

just cannot see this as anything other than a car crash waiting 2 happen

but as i say - hope i am wrong. honestly.

if i am right then mcnally can beep off.

hiddink, sat etc. were not brilliant players, but take sad for example he had just won a trophy in europe before he went to man utd. not quite the same. but keep dreaming

One thing is for sure, if AN does come, it wont be boring. I liked CH but found him as dull as dishwater in interviews AND playing style. Neil Adams i just found uninspiring, despite his Youth track record, he just didnt make me think he could handle the job, a bit like the nice teacher at school that asks the kids to behave, rather than them behaving because he is the teacher.

Alex Neil gets my backing if he gets the job at the club i support, if he fails, he must go, because the club i support should have the best possible manager available at the time, but if he succeeds, then he will be the best we could have, simple really.

Until we are in the position to attract those that are considered the best, then those who are doing well at the moment must be considered.

Live by the Ball, Die by the Ball.

I''m with Jimmy Smith on this one. Intrigued. Not excited but not desperately unhappy and wanting to get the flaming pitchfork out either.

He''s not an unknown. We''ve had scouts at all of Hamilton''s games this season looking at two of their players but it has been Neill who has made the biggest impression, his management and coaching style and the way his team play.

He gets young players playing, up through the ranks, first team and beyond, big money moves-James McArthur, James McCarthy, more to follow-one big box ticked for our club. We''ll never exceed the fee we paid for RVW, all round disaster and big loss financially whatever happens now, the club don''t want anything like that to happen again. Young, hungry and ambitious is back on the agenda, start with the Manager, get players with the same in mind. It''s why we signed McGrandles, why we signed Thompson from Swindon last season, why we were looking at two of Hamilton''s players earlier this season in the first place.

Big names, big money, they''re going to phase it out and go for up and coming names who could well end up being sold for big money for players who will see coming to Norwich as a step up and bust a gut to impress and do well here rather than see their signing for us as doing us a big favour or simply the next move their agent got them.

No reason why that can''t work for us, it has for Southampton.

If he comes I am wondering if promotion this season is still a "must" -if so and he fails, should he then be fired in the Summer?

Suspect his appointment, again, if it happens, is an indicator of a different approach recruitment and football philosophy wise but with the same goals in mind regardless.

totally agree with you yellow_belly. I hope this works out but it is a massive risk. Regardless of whether he was a good/bad player he has very limited managerial experience. You can never be sure whether an appointment will work or not, but it is about taking a calculated gamble... This seems to be a lot of gamble without much calculation... I hope it does work out but if it doesn''t then McNally needs to go. Adams was also a gamble without much calculation and look where that one ended up. I am sure we could have found a less risky option out there and why did we have to appoint someone so quickly? We have a good squad and I don''t think we need to sign a whole raft of new players in the transfer window... MP could keep things running for a few weeks/months until we found someone with a higher pedigree. This all looks very desperate and could be a major step backwards if we also lose MP..Like I said... hope I am wrong.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]No reason why that can''t work for us, it has for Southampton.[/quote]Apart from Redmond I can''t see ANY of our players commanding anywhere near the fees Soton got for the likes of Lallana, Shaw and Lovren (and even then he needs to perform more consistently), what''s more, they''ve also spent a fortune on players in the past 3 seasons, with approx 33 million in 12/13, 38 million 13/14 and 58 million in 14/15 so far!That''s about as far removed from our own spending levels as Soton are to Man City''s!I think the theory behind it is sound, but in truth our youth system hasn''t truly provided anyone of major note (at least top flight real quality) since the days of Bellamy and Eadie (maybe Rob Green as well), and based on this history, there''s far more chance of the Murphy''s being the next Jarvis brothers than there is of them being the next Toure''s...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Old Shuck"]No reason why that can''t work for us, it has for Southampton.[/quote]
Apart from Redmond I can''t see ANY of our players commanding anywhere near the fees Soton got for the likes of Lallana, Shaw and Lovren (and even then he needs to perform more consistently), what''s more, they''ve also spent a fortune on players in the past 3 seasons, with approx 33 million in 12/13, 38 million 13/14 and 58 million in 14/15 so far!

That''s about as far removed from our own spending levels as Soton are to Man City''s!

I think the theory behind it is sound, but in truth our youth system hasn''t truly provided anyone of major note (at least top flight real quality) since the days of Bellamy and Eadie (maybe Rob Green as well), and based on this history, there''s far more chance of the Murphy''s being the next Jarvis brothers than there is of them being the next Toure''s...
[/quote]

Not arguing Indy.

Southampton are the exception rather than the rule, the players they''ve brought through else bought cheaply and sold for a fortune is formidable, I couldn''t see us, or anyone, having a spell like that-although, admittedly, some clubs have paid way over the odds for some of them, Liverpool with Lambert and Lovren for example, but, even so, if we have half of the sort of income from buying/bringing through cheap and selling high the Saints have then the club would be, you''d think, very happy with that.

The youth policy has disappointed of late, the results and form of those sides has been disappointing this season as well-though its argued that results at that level aren''t so important-despite that I think the club will be disappointed at such an early exit from the Youth Cup and given the money spent on Cat A plus Ipswich''s relative success at the level underneath with young players, their own or signing them up (Mings) they might wonder why we aren''t at least looking to have a few youth products/young players in the first team by now.

Neill might be their answer to that-with Adams coming back at that level in the Summer the answer to any perceived stalling at all levels under the first team.

Josh Murphy remains periphral whilst Cameron McGeehan, seen as a big big prospect seems to be standing still. Toffolo is at Swindon and has indicated he''s happy to stay there. You never expect all of a FA Youth Cup winning side to make it into our first team at least (I think Gossy, Tony Spearing and Louis Donowa were the stand out from 1983) but there could, and perhaps should, have been one or two closer to a core first team place by now.

And yes, given the excitement over the Jarvis lads, especially after Ryan''s goal vs Liverpool, its no good, yet, expecting the Murphy twins making it big time though Jacob seems to have come on as a player this season. Hopefully someone like Neill would give them hope for a place here and the incentive to push on with us.

Still not cut and dried-SSN have just reported that the club has said there will be no announcement today and that Neill is having time with his players later today-though that might be to say he is staying!

If this is the thread for the cautiously hopeful with an element of the undecided then it''s the one for me.

To dismiss Alex Neil''s chances before he''s even arrived at the very least would be deeply churlish and indeed bereft of forethought, for now it is a case of being hopeful.

If I have one wish it is this, he very soon becomes a lucky manager, the odd decision that goes our way, a last gasp winner, Lambertesque if you will, from here the rest will follow.

Just to add, I very much hope Phelan stays onboard to equip him with all the experience and savvy any new manger could ever hope for.

Okay Bury. I remain hopeful and will get behind him.

But just realised that (in the league) we were only beaten once in December under Adams. Not saying that he was the man, but starting to feeling a bit sorry for him and MP, if honest. especially after two thumping home wins (albeit they were flattering given the opposition)

Okay, fingers crossed that he is a lucky manager. but still not jumping for joy with this appointment.

Felling a bit sad about this all really (why can the other teams in this league attract better.. maclaren at derby, the middlesborough chap, lennon at bolton, even ipswich if we are 2 be really honest)

The first 4 games looks tough for the new manager, bournemouth away, cardiff home, brentford home, brim away. we should win all (or three) but could, and a BIG could, lose all of them. but surely we cannot do that with the new SAF, Lambert etc. manager we have signed from the mighty Hamilton!! haha

that said. come on you yellows!!

Perhaps then it is more a case that many of us have simply lost pretty much all faith in the Board and its ability to recruit a manager and every thing else that relates to it?

When action was required they prevaricated, when experience and a relevant CV was required they opted for the polar opposite, when a singular and ruthless mindset was required they acted like sentimental doves.

For now I''m pinning my hopes on the following:

The infinite monkey theorem states that a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare

Sooner or later they must get it right?