Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Massive gamble by the club

The appointment of Alex Neil (if it goes ahead) is a massive gamble by the club.

If we lose against Bournemouth and play badly for the first half against Cardiff the board are going to get a lot of stick from the crowd. Perhaps it’s about time they did?

Have been a City supporter for tens of years and am not sure what is happening at our club now. I would really like to think it is a start of something good but have many reservations.

OTBC

Saturday''s game will be set up by Phelan so Alex Neil cannot be judged on that game. The board have already had a lot of stick. Seems DM has had his sights set on Neil for a while and I am sure he has done his homework.

Gamble .....yes but one worth taking

[quote user="Rustyboy"]The appointment of Alex Neil (if it goes ahead) is a massive gamble by the club.

If we lose against Bournemouth and play badly for the first half against Cardiff the board are going to get a lot of stick from the crowd. Perhaps it’s about time they did?

Have been a City supporter for tens of years and am not sure what is happening at our club now.
I would really like to think it is a start of something good but have many reservations.

OTBC[/quote]Age may well be the reason for you only having been a supporter for ten yeats. Having been one for 44, please take it from me that this is very much part of being a Norwich City supporter.Best you get used to it, ''cos unless, as others have already mentioned in many other threads, we get a multi-billionaire owner, this is the way it is for clubs like ours.Believe me the Stringer, Walker and Lambert eras were very much highs, as was the pre-relegation Worthington time, but there have been plenty of lows to more than balance them out.In the same way, the days of Bond and Brown were great fun and the days of Grant, Roeder, Gunn and Hamilton were miserable.Its the way it is. Not just for us, but for many of the teams that make up the professional leagues of this country.There''s nothing worse than some grumpy old get preaching about the rashness of youth… but in the long game, its just the way it is.Like I said, get used to it. Readjust your sights to slightly below permanent residents of the Premier League and you might not end up disappointed.And maybe Alex Neil can join the likes of Stringer, Walker and Lambert.

[quote user="Rustyboy"]

If we lose against Bournemouth and play badly for the first half against Cardiff the board are going to get a lot of stick from the crowd. [/quote]So we''re going to give him a whole game and half before we decide he''s no good [:$]

[quote user="yellow_belly"]i bet we lose all games in January. in fact i am going to put £5 on that.[/quote]

If you''re so sure why only put £5 on it.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Rustyboy"]

If we lose against Bournemouth and play badly for the first half against Cardiff the board are going to get a lot of stick from the crowd. [/quote]So we''re going to give him a whole game and half before we decide he''s no good [:$][/quote]

I''d be surprised if people give him that long. Knowing Norwich fans, if we''re not winning after 10 minutes on Saturday they''ll be moaning.

[quote user="Making Plans"]So we''re going to give him a whole game and half before we decide he''s no good [:$][/quote]Even Gunny got 2 games from McNally before he swung the axe and brought Lambert in...

every appointment is a gamble.

All managers have to start somewhere, once upon a time St. Mirren risked a young manager called Alex Ferguson and we all know what he went on to achieve

I thought the target this year was for automatic promotion? Considering we''re halfway through the season , how many games would you give him?

That''s the main problem I have with this appointment. If it was the summer I might be more positive, but if we want to achieve promotion this season the new manager has to hit the ground running. No consolidation, no team building. Just motivation and organising the current squad.

The comparisons have been made with Paul Lambert, but Lambert came in at our lowest point, and had the backing of the board and fans to completely rebuild the team over the course of a few seasons. Is that our intention with Alex? If so, then I guess we''ve already accepted that promotion is unlikely this season.

I hope he does well. I really do! But he''s a 33 yo guy coming in to a big club and will have to deal with big egos. I''m not sure he''ll have encountered that at Hamilton. I just hope he knows what he''s letting himself in for.

How much time will be he be given? I guess that promotion is still the target this season, be it automatic or through the play offs. But he will still be with us at the start of next season, unless things are really dire and we either go down or only just stay up.

I have a feeling that this guy could be pretty decent, and we will have a pretty good idea if we are on the right track by the end of January.

How many Norwich fans were laughing at Leeds when they appointed Hockaday, a Conference manager, but are now cheering the fact that we''ve done the equivalent? It''s a huge gamble, but sadly not on someone with a track record of producing quality football.Before anyone disputes Neil''s football as being excellent they should note that a couple of less starry-eyed Accie fans were on here yesterday testifying to the dreadful garbage played under Alex Neil. Typical for the Scottish leagues it really is dreadful kick and rush, most games are a scrap with no real technical ability.McNumpty has clearly ripped up any notion of Norwich Way passing football and the appointment of a Hockaday equivalent can only be viewed as a desperate panic move. In fact this is exactly the sort of mistake that the footballing board was designed to prevent, but expect McNumpty''s yes men to wave it through regardless.The risks of this gamble are that we''ll fall even further behind and somewhere down the line get relegated to League One. Ironically Neil might be a half decent bet if we were in League One, but he shouldn''t be the catalyst for falling down into it.

Alex Neil could be here 2 months.. or he could be here 20 years!

all managers are a risk, even a big name successful manager could go elsewhere and struggle...

we simply do not know.. but it will be fun to find out!

Andy, you read my post wrong. Like you I have supported City for tens of years (not ten) and would imagine we are around the same age.

Can you say you have been happy going to Carrow Road the past 2 years?

I just hope the happy days are coming back, in fact I would want nothing else but you know what the crowd can be like these days (unlike the standing days in the Barclay!)

[quote user="Rustyboy"]Andy, you read my post wrong. Like you I have supported City for tens of years (not ten) and would imagine we are around the same age.

Can you say you have been happy going to Carrow Road the past 2 years?

I just hope the happy days are coming back, in fact I would want nothing else but you know what the crowd can be like these days (unlike the standing days in the Barclay!)[/quote]You are right… and my bell-end status is assured. Its why I don''t bother posting on here much… it always bites you on the arse! My excuse is that my glasses were a bit smeared [:$]Have I been happy going to CR in the last 2 years? If I ignore the many arseholes that surround me then yes, I have… I always love going to the match no matter what the result. But I''m relatively well balanced so I can be philosophical about it all. It ebbs and flows.The arseholes do spoil it for me alas… but then, I can remember naysayers and doom-mongers back in the early 70s. They''ve always been there, but this new-fangled internet unfortunately gives them more opportunity to piss me off.We''ll be ok… don''t worry. Sit back and soak it up and enjoy the ride… it could be interesting!Sorry for asuming you were 14!!I''ll be back when we appoint our next manager and get all het up about it without rhyme nor reason.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]estrada - I think you will find the accie fans you referred to were binners[/quote]The ones who turned up first were obviously binners who kept an eye on the Accies because their one time hero Jason Scotland plays for them. Curiously they were happy to lose such a good manager, not the sort of reaction one might expect? I have seen a couple of Accie games this season plus highlights, and also know a couple of hard-nosed Accie fans. Trust me, the first lot who praised the quality of Accie hoofball were obvious binner trolls delighted that we were getting in a poor manager.

Agree with the others who have said all managerial appointments are a gamble. There is no such thing as a "sure thing:" and if there was he''d be with a top premiership club.Give the guy a chance - some people seem to have decided he is not the right person without him even in post yet - let alone having a game of two! Really he needs the rest of this season and the first half of next for us to really be able to judge.

I''m with you Andy! Had some great days n the last 2 years. Had some disappointing times too but so what''s new? If i look back honestly had at least as many disappointing times in the 60s 70s 80s 90s.... Heck even the great John Bond went nearly 2 years without an away win. Too many on here prepare to fail. Its out of our hands so we either enjoy the ride or get off the train!

Now Andy, I''m looking to press gang some volunteers to help me on Rays Funds in February and you''re top of my list. Are you up for the challenge?

Andy, how nice it is to have a well balanced conversation on this forum without slagging each other off.

Other take note :-)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Now Andy, I''m looking to press gang some volunteers to help me on Rays Funds in February and you''re top of my list. Are you up for the challenge?[/quote]NN… I''m working away for a large part of February… is it something I can do across the ether?[^o)]

Yes Andy but it can wait til march if easier! Do your pms work on here? Or send me an email on canaryeddie@aol.com and I''ll email you the details. Same applies to all city fans on here :)

Alex Neil as manager gives us no more or no less chance of promotion than ANY of the other names mentioned. The name mentioned are either a tainted or simply fanciful and beyond our reach.

He comes free from a history of failure and witha future, and skills based on gaps we have (lack of organisation and committment) a need to improve upon. If he can add those then we will move up the table.

Given that mix to me he feels a calculated gamble but no more risky than the long list of no marks mentioned