Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Shooting down the manager before hes even taken a game

Got to love some of these comments here, the likely new manager hasn''t even managed a game for us yet and people have already decided that he''s going to fail.

As for no ambition, I think this is a very ambitious appointment, the board has hardly thrown a dart at a board and approached who ever it landed on, they have clearly done their research on him and decided that he''s got potential.

Clubs have taken on young managers before from lower divisions and it has been successful, yes hes not a big name yet but could be in the future. Just because a club appoints a big name manager its not always successful, many have done amazing at 1 club and failed at another, sometimes after leaving us too.

Come on people at least give him some games to see how he does and don''t start slating the side if we do badly at Bmth because afterall its unlikely he will be in full charge till next week

All people are saying is to come from the Scottish league were you play weak teams four times a season and one massive team in celtic to the championship which people say is the one of the if not the hardest league in the world to get out of is a big big gamble .

we all hope he is a success if he is manager on Norwich we all want him to turn into the next lambert but from his history we can not back that claim up !

does not mean he will fail you can have a manager with a 60 % record fail at a club nobody knows what will happen its just we have VERY limit experience to go on

I hope he is a hit and sorts out these players and if they don''t listen and want to learn new methods to him get rid they haven''t set the world alight !

It seems to me that some are suggesting that this is a "David Hockaday" type appointment. No, we have done our homework on this guy. This could be a great appointment and might be just what we need.

Tbh most people seem relatively open-minded about the possibility of this Neil fella coming in - I guess it has come from so far leftfield that we have no pre-conceived opinions on the guy, which is actually no bad thing.

IMO it could be a big gamble but then all managerial appointments are - even those who are supposedly ''proven''. There is a fair degree of chance involved as to whether things are a ''fit''; plenty of players and managers (at our level in particular) have been great at one club and flopped elsewhere. There''s also a fair degree of luck involved (something you can influence to a degree) and which PL seemed to have when with us, but Adams seemed not to have: with only a small bit of better fortune in the first half of the season we could easily have had 7-8 more pts (Charlton, Derby, Leeds to name just 3 games we could feel a bit hard done by), but that is the way things go.

Classic thread OP.

I don''t see many people shooting him down, I see some like me who are completely at a loss as to why we have appointed a manager like Neil at such a crucial time for us.

This isn''t negativity for negativity''s sake. We don''t need a manager with potential, or someone young and hungry looking to make the step up and test himself. We need experience. We need someone who''s been here before and knows what it takes to get promoted.

We don''t have a season or two to build a squad or get the tactics right. We have to do this now or risk losing our star players and having to start again from scratch.

Good luck to him, but if he doesn''t get results early on then I imagine the fans will turn on him and the board pretty quickly.

If we had a poor squad struggling to avoid relegation I would welcome him with open arms! It''s not about the man it''s about the current circumstances.

There''s always going to be the odd one or two who''ll be looking to ''shoot down'' any manager.The two ways he will get EVERYONE onside is; firstly he brings about a change of attitude from the players. On the face of it he looks like the kind of guy who will not suffer anyone who, in the words of his compatriot Lambert , is not prepared " to put their shoulder to the wheel".And, secondly, results, dear boy. If he starts winning football games, no-one is going to be looking to shoot him down, surely ?

[quote user="Barossa"]Experience??? Ricoh, Hughton, Hamilton, Roeder.....need I go on?[/quote]Had forgotten the period we had a camera as manager.No wonder it all went t!ts up then.....

Reggie if he wins games we''re smiling, but in the absence of the evidence we are speculating.

It''s just people getting their excuses in for not supporting him early doors

"I never wanted him in the first place, should''ve got Warnock..."

Nothing to be gained now by being negative,he sounds just the bloke to give some of our under performing players a kick up the arse which has been a long time coming so onwards and upwards I say

Spot on Dave. I have seen some shockingly stupid comments over the last 24 hours. Some "fans" are just plain embarrassing. Moaning before he''s even arrived. What morons. They think they know better than people who make these judgements and decisions for a professional living. What arrogance it think they know better that the people charged with making the call. I hadn''t heard of this guy either, but he seems to be a very impressive character. We''ve all complained of a soft underbelly, lack of passion, lack of fitness even. Our people have been to every single Accies game this season and been very impressed with what Neil has done on a shoestring budget. I''ve read the comments on their own fans forum. To a man, they are gutted to be losing him but not one person has expressed the slightest doubt that he''ll do well. No one of us were particularly enthusiastic about any of the merrygoround managers that were linked with us when Adams quit. The board deserve full credit for having had a plan b in the first place and then the craft to be first to grab this exciting young man. On the ball City! And shut up the negative numpties.

[quote user="Essex Canary"]They think they know better than people who make these judgements and decisions for a professional living. What arrogance it think they know better that the people charged with making the call.[/quote]So when those of us raised concerns over the lack of experience people like Grant, Gunn and Adams actually had - we were wrong were we?Outside of Lambert and to a lesser extent Worthington, the people making these judgments for a ''professional living'' had got an apallingly bad track record of failure and mediocrity, yet somehow on this occasion we just sit back and assume that all will be well this time...Stop being so naive in regards to our shockingly bad recruitment history and instead ask the question WHY they have yet again appointed another relative unknown with ZERO experience managing at this level, when previous similar appointments have been total disasters!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Essex Canary"]They think they know better than people who make these judgements and decisions for a professional living. What arrogance it think they know better that the people charged with making the call.[/quote]So when those of us raised concerns over the lack of experience people like Grant, Gunn and Adams actually had - we were wrong were we?Outside of Lambert and to a lesser extent Worthington, the people making these judgments for a ''professional living'' had got an apallingly bad track record of failure and mediocrity, yet somehow on this occasion we just sit back and assume that all will be well this time...Stop being so naive in regards to our shockingly bad recruitment history and instead ask the question WHY they have yet again appointed another relative unknown with ZERO experience managing at this level, when previous similar appointments have been total disasters![/quote]Whilst i agree with you to a certain extent, Indy, I think it''s unfair to lump Neil in with those 3. They had absolutely zero experience of managing at ANY level. At least Neil has done it at SPL level . Of course there will be the cynics who say that''s irrelevant and what we need is someone who is a seasoned Champ operator. Well time will tell. You are right. this board''s track record on taking the cheap and easy option re appointments is a dreadful one. But , in this case, it''s been a much harder decision to take, and they must know that they are setting themselves up for some almighty flak if Neil does fail. But, on this occasion, at  least they have not just plumped for the easy option.

Buh wrote the following post at 08/01/2015 1:04 PM:

It''s just people getting their excuses in for not supporting him early doors

"I never wanted him in the first place, should''ve got Warnock..."

Sad post

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Essex Canary"]They think they know better than people who make these judgements and decisions for a professional living. What arrogance it think they know better that the people charged with making the call.[/quote]So when those of us raised concerns over the lack of experience people like Grant, Gunn and Adams actually had - we were wrong were we?Outside of Lambert and to a lesser extent Worthington, the people making these judgments for a ''professional living'' had got an apallingly bad track record of failure and mediocrity, yet somehow on this occasion we just sit back and assume that all will be well this time...Stop being so naive in regards to our shockingly bad recruitment history and instead ask the question WHY they have yet again appointed another relative unknown with ZERO experience managing at this level, when previous similar appointments have been total disasters![/quote]Whilst i agree with you to a certain extent, Indy, I think it''s unfair to lump Neil in with those 3. They had absolutely zero experience of managing at ANY level. At least Neil has done it at SPL level . Of course there will be the cynics who say that''s irrelevant and what we need is someone who is a seasoned Champ operator. Well time will tell. You are right. this board''s track record on taking the cheap and easy option re appointments is a dreadful one. But , in this case, it''s been a much harder decision to take, and they must know that they are setting themselves up for some almighty flak if Neil does fail. But, on this occasion, at  least they have not just plumped for the easy option.[/quote]I prefer facts to myths. Assuming the Neil move goes through, the record since Smith and Jones took over, with 10 permanent managerial appointments, is as follows:Those who have never been coaches - one (Gunn).Those who have been coaches but not managers - two (Grant and Adams).Those who were coaches with previous first-team managerial experience - two (Hamilton and Worthington).Those with first-team managerial experience - five  (Rioch, Roeder, Lambert, Hughton and Neil).So half their choices have been experienced first-team managers with, as it happens no current or past connection to the club. In other words they have every other time done what they are supposed never to do and go for an expensive external appointment that owes nothing to sentimentality. I don''t know, but I suspect that average compares pretty favourably with the choices made by other clubs. In addition two of the four times they bumped a coach up as an internal appointment it was someone who had previously managed. In Hamilton''s he had vast managerial experience.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][I prefer facts to myths. So half their choices have been experienced first-team managers with, as it happens no current or past connection to the club. [/quote]Hmm Purple. You are being very selective with your ''facts'' there . You are going back a hell of a long way with  the appointments of Rioch, Roeder,Hamilton and Worthington  (plus , to be fair, Grant) . If you are going to split hairs over this, the ''fact'' is that this current board looks one hell of a lot different to that when those particular gents I''ve mentioned were appointed. So it''s no good comparing the two. If it makes you feel any better, let''s talk about the board''s RECENT track record on cheap and easy options. I''m sorry, but however you dress it up, only Hughton (and to a lesser extent Lambert) could be described as solidly experienced candidates.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][I prefer facts to myths. So half their choices have been experienced first-team managers with, as it happens no current or past connection to the club. [/quote]Hmm Purple. You are being very selective with your ''facts'' there . You are going back a hell of a long way with  the appointments of Rioch, Roeder,Hamilton and Worthington  (plus , to be fair, Grant) . If you are going to split hairs over this, the ''fact'' is that this current board looks one hell of a lot different to that when those particular gents I''ve mentioned were appointed. So it''s no good comparing the two. If it makes you feel any better, let''s talk about the board''s RECENT track record on cheap and easy options. I''m sorry, but however you dress it up, only Hughton (and to a lesser extent Lambert) could be described as solidly experienced candidates.[/quote]I think McNally has made a brave decision on this one. It must have been tempting to go for a safe option with someone like Phelan, Rossler, Warnock etc. There would have been nay sayers in any event but a lot of people would have thought, wise old head and all that etcIt is pointless to pre-judge so I guess I will give it the thumbs up and do the only thing that a supporter can do.Hope for the best.[Y]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][I prefer facts to myths. So half their choices have been experienced first-team managers with, as it happens no current or past connection to the club. [/quote]Hmm Purple. You are being very selective with your ''facts'' there . You are going back a hell of a long way with  the appointments of Rioch, Roeder,Hamilton and Worthington  (plus , to be fair, Grant) . If you are going to split hairs over this, the ''fact'' is that this current board looks one hell of a lot different to that when those particular gents I''ve mentioned were appointed. So it''s no good comparing the two. If it makes you feel any better, let''s talk about the board''s RECENT track record on cheap and easy options. I''m sorry, but however you dress it up, only Hughton (and to a lesser extent Lambert) could be described as solidly experienced candidates.[/quote]On the contrary, Reggie, I am being the opposite of selective. That is what you are being. I have included the whole of Smith and Jones'' reign for two unarguable reasons.Firstly, any attempt to divide that reign up into eras is bound to be based on partiality and prejudice.Secondly, one of the frequent claims about the Smith and Jones era is that it was - to use a bit of the poetic licence you like - a time of total incompetence UNTIL McNally and Bowkett came on the scene. I think you have achieved a first by turning that idea on its head and saying the new regime suffers by comparison with the old.

From the beginning Delia and Michael had no long term plan or direction from a footballing perspective.You can see this from the odd assortment of previous managers, constantly chopping and changing style from one to the next with little or no continuity. You can also see it from the recent changes in the club''s structure eg the footballing board and statements mentioning the famed ''Norwich Way'' of playing, all atempts to try and plan ahead and play to a particular style.Adams failed to deliver passing football, so it''s all change again in getting in a Lambert-style battler to play a direct power game ie the antithesis of passing possession football. So when it comes to managerial appointments this particular one deserves scepticism due to the ever changing whims of a board that cannot stick to its own long term plans for more than a few months.If Wee Jimmy falls on his sword in the next 18 months or so, which is likely given his lack of experience, then I can see the club reverting to another Hughton type. Then we''ll be back at square one, except in a lower division, with a decimated squad and little money to spend.

[quote user="estrada rumtotal"]From the beginning Delia and Michael had no long term plan or direction from a footballing perspective.You can see this from the odd assortment of previous managers, constantly chopping and changing style from one to the next with little or no continuity. You can also see it from the recent changes in the club''s structure eg the footballing board and statements mentioning the famed ''Norwich Way'' of playing, all atempts to try and plan ahead and play to a particular style.Adams failed to deliver passing football, so it''s all change again in getting in a Lambert-style battler to play a direct power game ie the antithesis of passing possession football. So when it comes to managerial appointments this particular one deserves scepticism due to the ever changing whims of a board that cannot stick to its own long term plans for more than a few months.If Wee Jimmy falls on his sword in the next 18 months or so, which is likely given his lack of experience, then I can see the club reverting to another Hughton type. Then we''ll be back at square one, except in a lower division, with a decimated squad and little money to spend.[/quote]FFS give it a rest.you''ll have us all topping ourselves in a minute.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][Secondly, one of the frequent claims about the Smith and Jones era is that it was - to use a bit of the poetic licence you like - a time of total incompetence UNTIL McNally and Bowkett came on the scene. I think you have achieved a first by turning that idea on its head and saying the new regime suffers by comparison with the old.[/quote]Never said any such thing Purple. Please point me to where I did.Of course, one can pick whatever time frame to suit one''s argument. But the ''unarguable fact '' is that of the last five appointments made by this current (recent) board ...ie Gunn, Lambert, Hughton, Adams and Neil, only Hughton had any level of experience at the higher level at which he was supposed to be operating.Purple, you can argue/debate til the cows come home about the merits or otherwise of perceived ''experienced'' candidates but please do not insult our intelligence by trying to perpetuate the myth that this CURRENT board have been even handed on this matter. They have undeniably been not so.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][I prefer facts to myths. So half their choices have been experienced first-team managers with, as it happens no current or past connection to the club. [/quote]Hmm Purple. You are being very selective with your ''facts'' there . You are going back a hell of a long way with  the appointments of Rioch, Roeder,Hamilton and Worthington  (plus , to be fair, Grant) . If you are going to split hairs over this, the ''fact'' is that this current board looks one hell of a lot different to that when those particular gents I''ve mentioned were appointed. So it''s no good comparing the two. If it makes you feel any better, let''s talk about the board''s RECENT track record on cheap and easy options. I''m sorry, but however you dress it up, only Hughton (and to a lesser extent Lambert) could be described as solidly experienced candidates.[/quote]I think McNally has made a brave decision on this one. It must have been tempting to go for a safe option with someone like Phelan, Rossler, Warnock etc. There would have been nay sayers in any event but a lot of people would have thought, wise old head and all that etcIt is pointless to pre-judge so I guess I will give it the thumbs up and do the only thing that a supporter can do.Hope for the best.[Y][/quote]Would not disagree with any of that, Rick. I''ve said on other threads that the board have, in this case, certainly not made the easy option. And that should be recognised.My main dispute with Purple is the inaccurate statements he''s making that this board have recently  been even handed on the matter of experience/suitability for the job, when making appointments.

People are only giving an opinion.

I just think we were expecting more than a guy who''s had 2 years expirience as a "player manager" in Scotland.

I just hope he doesn''t end up being referred to as Neyul.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="estrada rumtotal"]From the beginning Delia and Michael had no long term plan or direction from a footballing perspective.You can see this from the odd assortment of previous managers, constantly chopping and changing style from one to the next with little or no continuity. You can also see it from the recent changes in the club''s structure eg the footballing board and statements mentioning the famed ''Norwich Way'' of playing, all atempts to try and plan ahead and play to a particular style.Adams failed to deliver passing football, so it''s all change again in getting in a Lambert-style battler to play a direct power game ie the antithesis of passing possession football. So when it comes to managerial appointments this particular one deserves scepticism due to the ever changing whims of a board that cannot stick to its own long term plans for more than a few months.If Wee Jimmy falls on his sword in the next 18 months or so, which is likely given his lack of experience, then I can see the club reverting to another Hughton type. Then we''ll be back at square one, except in a lower division, with a decimated squad and little money to spend.[/quote]FFS give it a rest.you''ll have us all topping ourselves in a minute.[/quote]Well it''s one mad gamble after another, and sooner or later we''ll come a cropper. It might not be what you want to hear but most within the game will be viewing it as such.

Just seen an interview with Alex Neil.

My impression is that he''s too young and inexperienced. I don''t want to shoot down the manager, but I don''t see many clubs employing a 33yr old with a years worth of experience.

I just can''t see him commanding respect from the experienced players at the club. Probally why his reputation is based on having young players.

I thing it''s wrong for the club to take such a risk at this time.

I am as excited as when we appointed Peter Grant.

But will give the chap a chance. Can''t help thinking we need a manager who has a record dealing with such legends in their own minds that we seem to have here