Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

More optimistic than you were on Sunday?

Sorry, but am also in the "I remain hopeful" camp, impossible for me right now to feel either negative or positive as its such a strange appointment.

No. Much less. Because McNally ignored my strong plea for a youthful and go-getting dreamtime quadrumvirate of  Martin O''Neill, Neil Warnock, Glenn Hoddle and Alan Curbishley.

No

In time, It''ll take time?

Whatever you do DON''T answer the door to any door to door salesmen You''ll end up skint.

I think Alex Neil''s appointment is a panic move and backward step by a club which has run out of ideas and whose fans are nostalgic for the past.Making Alex Neil manager is just a sop to unhappy fans who are searching for a tough strongman as an emotional crutch to lean on. They want a rugby style blood and thunder scrap instead of an elegant and clever game of football. The trouble with going for the ''power option'' is that we''re competing with several other clubs who are attempting to go down a similar route but are better financed or bigger clubs.In Uwe Rosler there was a viable choice available who would have been

able to modernise the playing style and lift the club up a level. But inexplicably we''ve opted for a

novice who plays a dated kick and rush game which is supplemented with token passing to make it look more modern. Those choosing

the new manager, whilst probably good at accounting and dealing with the

bank manager, are obviously illiterate when it comes to the game of

football.Alex Neil''s appointment demonstrates that there''s no long term plan or ambition within the boardroom. There''s no sense of direction as the slightest difficulty causes long term plans to be ripped up and a complete change of tack. The board are content for Norwich to be a Championship club which occassionally gets promoted and once in a blue moon manages to stay in the Premiership for more than one season.Competing on strength and power like Stoke under Pulis instead of competing on quality like Swansea or Bournemouth is futile, a grievous error which will prevent the club from becoming an established premiership side.Instead of progressing, the club has become a Paul Lambert tribute band, a nostalgia act which plays the hits of yesteryear.

Nobody knows what style of football Alex Neil is committed to. All we know is what style of football enabled him to take Hamilton Accies into the Scottish Prem, and to third in that league (at the present time), with the (limited) resources at his disposal. Why ASSUME he hasn''t the intelligence and football nous to adjust to the demands of the club he works for, the league he is in, and the quality of the players available to him? To condemn him at this point in time as playing "a dated kick and rush game supplemented with token passing to make it look more modern" is surely jumping to a quite unjustified conclusion.

Not more optimistic, just grateful we haven''t gone for some has been manager that has been round the houses a few times.  Refreshing change and a return to more Lambert - or dare I say McCarthy - down to earth, proper competitive football.

More optimistic about the football, less optimistic about the people who''ve written the new manager off already.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]No. Much less. Because McNally ignored my strong plea for a youthful and go-getting dreamtime quadrumvirate of  Martin O''Neill, Neil Warnock, Glenn Hoddle and Alan Curbishley.[/quote]But seriously, yes. I see a comparison with Billy Davies, but in a good way. The Billy Davies who got a small Scottish club outperforming, carried on the good work with Preston and then got a very average Derby side promoted. Neil sounds like the Davies before the latter went bad. Tough, focused, very demanding of his players and tactically on the ball. However things go from now I doubt fans will have much reason to complain that the best is not being got out of the squad or that there has been a lack of effort. Passion I couldn''t care less about. It is for pimply youths and old men trying to act young. But effort is a requirement.